It’s been awhile. I know. But rest assured, I have not ceased making things…I have just been very bad in documenting. But it’s a whole new year. So let’s begin again.
A friend of mine recently commissioned me to make a mobile for her darling niece as a Christmas gift. I always prefer making something for a known recipient, so it was really fun to get started on this project. The nursery has a woodland theme, so my friend (let’s refer to her as my benefactor) and I decided on using this pattern collection and from there I could do what I liked.
I had never done any embroidery and I found that I really enjoyed it. Aimee Ray (who wrote the patterns) also has a book on embroidery called Doodle Stitching which I think is an apt name for the craft. It’s so simple and you only need to learn a couple basic stitches to get started. I found this amazing resource with a tutorial for every stitch imaginable. However, I completed this project using just the back stitch, the satin stitch, the lazy daisy, and the french knot.
As with many of my other projects, I conjured these up using wool blend felt, stuffing, and embroidery floss. In addition, I added a fishing weight to each one and hung them with fishing line. They definitely need some added heft to keep the line taught. A pie weight or something similar would work just as well.
My original intention was to hang the completed critters from a couple of nested embroidery hoops. That turned out to be more complicated than I had hoped. The architect in me wanted things perfectly level, perfectly symmetrical, and perfectly aligned. It was not happening and the toddler in me wanted to have a tantrum. Instead of kicking and screaming I took a look around the house and found this contraption lying unused on a shelf. Originally meant to hang pictures, I later realized that I’m not one to have pictures around my house. I removed the clips and hung my 4 creatures, 4 mushrooms, and acorn in perfect harmony. I was happy.
For fun, I added little embroidered tramp stamps (I mean hearts) to the backsides of each little creature. I also cut out clusters of leaves and affixed them with wire at various intersections of the mobile. Once I felt confidant with the embroidery, I also added Claire (the recipient’s) initials to the central hanging acorn. All in all I was quite pleased.
I think that Claire was too.